This weekend why not give roast chicken a go? When cooked well it is one of our favourites, but it can be hard to get right! Here are our top tips:
- Buy the best you can afford. This really does make a difference to the end result.
- Take your chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before you are going to cook it and let it come up to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- Stuff the bird with some onion, lemon, garlic and thyme.
- Season your bird well inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place your bird on top of some halved red onions so it is not sitting on the bottom of the pan.
- Cook your bird for 20 minutes per 500 grams, plus an extra 20 minutes. So if your bird weighs 1.5kg you would cook it for 1hr 20 minutes.
- Baste the bird with the juices half way through cooking and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
Serve your bird with all the trimmings for a fab Sunday roast!
If you would like to learn this and much more, join us for our Chicken masterclass, where we have teamed up with the chaps at Well Hung Meat to bring you the very best organic chicken. We are running one today, and the next one takes place on Friday 5th July.