These crunchy morsels are the perfect snack, light lunch or canapés.
- 12 button mushrooms (medium size)
- The filling:
- 200g ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of grated parmesan
- Large pinch of chilli powder
- For the batter:
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour
- 150ml strong dark lager
- Oil for deep frying
Remove the mushroom stems (these would make a great addition to stock).
Combine the filling ingredients.
Stuff the mushrooms and refrigerate.
Preheat the oil in a saucepan or deep fat fryer to 180C.
Combine the batter ingredients – you are looking for a lightly whipped cream consistency (add more beer if necessary).
Coat the mushrooms carefully in the batter and lower onto the hot oil. Fry no more than 4-5 at a time.
They will take 5-6 minutes to cook.
Lift them out with a slotted spoon and place on a sheet of kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.
Sprinkle with salt and serve.