Tempeh Ramen Medium
- 1 small shallot, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon brown miso paste
- 1 teaspoon of garlic oil
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 200g plain tempeh or firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 100g rye flour
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Soba Noodles (Cooked as per packet instructions)
- Optional toppings: seasonal greens, fresh vegetables, seaweed, pickles or kimchi
Cut the tempeh into slices and marinate in the soy sauce.
Heat the garlic oil in a saucepan and add the chopped shallot.
Fry for 10 minutes on a medium heat, until golden.
Stir in the miso paste and pour in the stock.
Bring to a gentle boil and add the soba noodles and cook until al dente.
Remove the tempeh from the marinade, pouring the marinade into the saucepan.
Dip the tempeh slices in the flour, lightly coating them.
Heat a large glug of rapeseed oil in a frying pan.
Add the tempeh and fry on both sides until golden and crispy.
Remove from the frying pan and keep to one side.
Raise the temperature and add the mushrooms, frying them for 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
Divide the soba noodles into equal portions in bowls for service.
Pour the soup over the noodles, and top with the tempeh, mushrooms and any other toppings.
For a slightly more indulgent version (and non-vegan), add half a soft-boiled egg to each bowl.